Photo by Chris Scott

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Book List As It Stands Just Now

I'm officially back into reading books again :D

I've finally managed to get most of the books that I bought / borrowed within the last two years read. I didn't make much headway on these during uni because I tended to prioritise the stuff I was reading for classes, which ended up not really working for me because (a) some of the books I read for class were utter, utter shite, (b) I usually didn't get through the books I was reading for fun at a particularly fast pace, and (c) reading went from being a favourite hobby to a chore I carried out. There's nothing worse than when (c) happens. I was still bulk buying books though. As I mentioned before, I'm addicted to buying them from Fopp - they're always (well, usually) pretty cheap, or at least decent value for money for what you pay for them.

I'm not actually totally sure how many books I've got through at this point in time, or what order they're in off the top of my head. But amongst the ones I've read are:

'Mrs Dalloway' - Virginia Woolf
'Q&A' - Vikas Swarup
'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' - Stieg Larsson
'Dracula' - Bram Stoker
'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' - Louis De Bernieres
'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' - Jean Dominique Bauby
'Neverwhere' - Neil Gaiman
'The Road' - Cormac McCarthy
'The Vampire Lestat' and 'Queen of the Damned' - Anne Rice
A couple of the Isabel Dalhousie books by Alexander McCall Smith

I could go into more depth but I fear I'd bore you.

I bulk-bought a load more books from Fopp in dribs and drabs whenever I could afford them. This, as I've stated before, is why I'm thankful for those cheap classics Penguin sell on recycled paper. But they sell loads of other good books too. There are other places that sell good books - HMV, for instance. I've also got a basket load saved on Amazon, but not sure when I'll get those bought - have to conserve the few funds I do have, having been massively buggered about with my pay packet this month. But anyway...I've now made a dent in the 'new list' (so-called).

Currently reading: 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens.

Next two which I keep on my person to be read next: 'Poor Things' by Alasdair Gray and 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville

The rest:

'Dead Until Dark' - Charlaine Harris
'The Hound of the Baskervilles' - Arthur Conan Doyle
'No Country For Old Men' - Cormac McCarthy
'Vanity Fair' - William Makepeace Thackeray
'Smoke and Mirrors' - Neil Gaiman
'Pride and Prejudice' - Jane Austen
'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' - Haruki Murakami
'Madame Bovary' - Gustave Flaubert
'The Girl Who Played With Fire' - Stieg Larsson
'Les Miserables' - Victor Hugo
'Fahrenheit 451' - Ray Bradbury
'David Copperfield' - Charles Dickens
'Breakfast at Tiffany's' - Truman Capote
'Emma' - Jane Austen
'Ghostwritten' - David Mitchell
'The Canterbury Tales' - Geoffrey Chaucer
'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest' - Stieg Larsson
'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' - Arthur Conan Doyle
'Kafka on the Shore' - Haruki Murakami
'Grimm's Fairy Tales' - The Brothers Grimm (yes, this was among the Penguin Popular Classics I found in Fopp. No joke)
'Death of a Ladies' Man' - Alan Bissett
'Oliver Twist' - Charles Dickens
'Memoirs of a Geisha' - Arthur Golden
'The Great Gatsby' - F Scott Fitzgerald
'England, England' - Julian Barnes
'The Picture of Dorian Gray' - Oscar Wilde

Phew! That's the list so far...it'll have increased soon enough, mark my words.

Edit: two new additions - 'Transition' by Iain Banks and 'Northanger Abbey' by Jane Austen

No comments:

Post a Comment