Photo by Chris Scott

Monday 23 August 2010

I need a big weekend to kick up the dust, big weekend, if you don't run, you rust.

Big weekend? Well, I lifted the titular lyric from the Tom Petty song of the same name, but anyway, I definitely had one.

The publishing company I currently work for had events on at the Edinburgh International Book Festival this weekend, and we had an absolute ball making our presence known. So far, we've had an awesome reaction to the book we put out last month (and - here's me in sales mode - methinks you ought to buy it from the website, pretty please). We were even allowed in the authors' yurt - as in the big tent they all sit in to prepare for their show. They even let us drink their wine and eat their apples. We had a lot of promoting to do too. The other stuff outwith the book festival involved wandering around Edinburgh city centre while my boss and our events person hunted down a 24 hour shop in order to procure cigarettes, and the following evening we had a pre-event tea at the nearest Wetherspoon's which involved ripping the piss out of their Edinburgh Festival menu (50p dearer than their Rest Of The Year menu, as our editor / resident comedian was quick to point out - it looked the same to me). I was on my feet so much I now have a huge blister on my right heel. But it was worth it, because I'm so proud of what we're doing and I feel privileged to have been involved. It's not quite over yet - we're part of the final night of the festival too next week. But I have a feeling that this may be a summer I look back on with some fondness. Still not sure if I'll consider 2010 to be the best of years, but it's so far had a lot of good things about it.

I'm also still looking for a new home. I do at least have the advantage of now having a friend in a similar situation to move in with, so I'm now looking for a whole flat as opposed to just a room with strangers. This does at least give me a little more freedom, which is never a bad thing. It's just that we've picked such a shit time of year to actually be looking for something - seems like all the students are snapping the nice flats up. Now that I'm no longer a student I'm starting to see how annoying that is. It can't take long, though. Surely?

No comments:

Post a Comment