Photo by Chris Scott

Sunday 12 September 2010

I ain't ever satisfied

That's the title for this entry because I am still miffed about missing Steve Earle in Shetland on Thursday. I really, really need a trip home.

Anywomb...

Worked my first Saturday evening at the busiest station on the subway network. It was pandemonium. First of all, that station has four ticket machines. Of these four, three were completely kaput and the fourth was in action intermittently. This meant there were several points during the evening when I had large queues. One guy complained that we should have a second window. Then there were the drunken idiots. We shouldn't let passengers who are drunk travel, but if we turned away all the drunk people we ever had we'd lose so much money. (Yeah, I'm in corporate whore mode.) Of course, the trouble with drunk folk is serving them. They drop their money, or when they don't, it's the wrong amount. When you tell them this, they tut loudly, thinking they got away with it (junkies tend to be much the same). Last night, though, I had three guys try and get singles back into town. One tried to say "Aw, c'mon, three fir two an ah'll gie ye a kiss." Needless to say, he was turned down. Didn't stop him, though - he simply tried to get me to leave him a mark on the glass panel between us. He was ignored. At that stage he decided to get my attention by leaping the barriers, at which stage I got the manager involved. They did still get to travel but we probably shouldn't have let them.

(I'd like to point out here - although I'm well aware his attitude was probably the drink talking, I actually can't stand being openly flirted with anyway. I prefer a guy to get into my head before he tries to get into my pants. I am, after all, human.)

Earlier in the shift, we'd had a passenger with an unlimited pass for all the city's public transport trying to get through the barrier. He needed his pass validated and wasn't keen to wait in the queue to do this, and got stroppy when we told him to. After swearing at the manager he was ejected. Later we got a pished guy with a season ticket for the train (not the subway; you wouldn't believe how many folk are bad for that) and got arsey when we told him it wasn't valid. He also insulted the station manager - right in front of the security guys. So he also got ejected.

That shift was enough for me to get my finger out with this application for the library job. I was, however, cheered up by today's event at Platform with Cargo again, which was a great day in all. We've still got more to go. Meanwhile our editor of the Year of Open Doors is having a launch for his new graphic novel, Dougie's War on Thursday, so we're all looking forward to that.

Merlin is back on telly - I'd missed it. Along with Doctor Who and Sherlock, it's one of the Beeb's best. I'm also watching Dead Set over 4OD, about two years later. It's pretty creepy. Thank fuck for Youtube having Mr Men episodes to cheer me up...

No comments:

Post a Comment