Photo by Chris Scott

Saturday 25 December 2010

And it's Christmas all over again...

I somehow amazingly returned home for Christmas on Tuesday.

I got my stuff together then went to get a train from Partick station to Queen Street, where I would catch a train to Aberdeen that connected with the Lerwick ferry. This is usually straightforward enough.

However, there was of course some significant snowfall last weekend. The pavement was clear enough to walk there with my bags, but when I actually got there, of the three or four services that usually run to Queen St from Partick, only one - the Airdrie train - was running. Even then, when it turned up, it was five minutes late. Then again, that was pretty good. The trains going the other way - to Milngavie, Helensburgh and Balloch - were all either heavily delayed (10-20 mins) or cancelled, as was the Dalmuir-Springburn service (which made me more thankful I don't live in Dennistoun any more, even if I do miss it).

Anyway, after the Airdrie train finally turned up I got to Queen St, dreading what was coming. And indeed, the station was in chaos. Again, many services were suspended or cancelled. However, as luck would have it, my train - the 1441 to Aberdeen - showed no immediate sign of cancellation or significant delay. I had been keeping an eye on the BBC's Travel site, and there'd been no sign of Aberdeen services getting cancelled but that could have changed in the half hour that had lapsed between me leaving my flat and arriving at the main station. So I forked out £7 for the left luggage (I know - but it was so heavy) and went to YO! Sushi to collect the takeout I'd ordered, then came back. My train left on time, although ended up having to make an unscheduled stop at Dunblane (since most services to there were cancelled) and got into Aberdeen ten minutes late. Apart from this, and a mix-up with baggage that had me checking the length and breadth of the train for my suitcase only to find a member of staff had mistakenly removed it thinking another passenger had left it (eejit), it was uneventful. I met with Rachel, my best pal, and we walked through Union Square (less snow that way :P) across to the ferry terminal at Jamieson's Quay. The ferry went on time, and the trip was actually okay for the time of year - not as rough as usual.

I still have a lot of folk I need to see, but it's been good to be home. Kind of wishing I was staying longer, but alas...will need to be a bit quicker off the mark about booking next Christmas off work!

No comments:

Post a Comment