Photo by Chris Scott

Friday 12 November 2010

Bright Young Things?

So...I don't usually comment on current affairs in this thing (there've been moments since I started it in February), but since this involves further / higher education I think I need to say something.

As you know, the ConDems have made a lot of plans for education that, long story short, will make it pricier than it already is. If it carries on, university will once again become an elite club for the rich. So, needless to say, a lot of people who don't want to be cut off in the middle of their degree course because of the costs descended on London to protest the plans. "No ifs, no buts, no education cuts." Fair enough.

I'm proud to say I know a lot of fellow students who went on the march to protest this peacefully. However, I'm gutted that a small number spoiled it for everyone by causing clashes and trashing the Tory headquarters.

To those who caused the trouble - are you proud of yourselves, really? You ruined the cause for so many. A lot of the folk who came down for the protest came down to get a point across. You were there to look for a scrap. Yes, it got in the news. But now it won't be remembered for the cause it was promoting, it'll be remembered because you lot started a fight. As if the MPs at Westminster are going to be convinced by a bunch of oiks laying waste to the building.

I don't back the Tories' plans at all. Everyone should have the right to an education if they want. It shouldn't just be for the rich, that'll send us back to the dark ages. Many students already have a lot of debt. I have an overdraft and a loan. Apparently that's considered not too bad. I know folk who took out credit cards to survive. A friend of mine worked 4 jobs to get by (yes, at the same time) while he was at uni. I know a lot of folk who stand on their own two feet as students. I've always been humbled and impressed by my pals who fall into this category, and in my case, I would never have got my degree were it not for parental contribution. The thought of education becoming a privilege instead of a right angers me too, but the wanton destruction of a building isn't the way to go about protesting it. I learned that a long time ago.

To those of you who protested this peacefully, thank you. I hope your effort turns out to be the one more acknowledged.

No comments:

Post a Comment