Photo by Chris Scott

Friday 19 November 2010

eBook Aversion...Averted?

So...I'm not sure how vocal I've been about this on here, but I am not a fan of eBooks.

When it comes to the art and pleasure of reading, I'm a traditionalist through and through. I love the way books feel in my hands. I love how they smell and the pretty patterns of the words and letters on each page. I love knowledge and will take any opportunity available to feed my imagination. I love assembling them on the shelf - not in any particular order, mind, that's too much effort for me really - and showing them off to anyone willing to look. I just love books. To an extent I was the same with my music for a while. I still like CDs, like stacking and shelving them (but in a proper order this time) then having them there, but most of all listening to them. Not that I've done that in months, like, but I need to soon.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah...eBooks. I never intended to acquire any. I always went and legitimately brought proper, real, physical books from bookshops, usually Fopp. I still have the most of that pile of books I bought to get through, but more on that later.

Last weekend before I headed home I requested a phone upgrade, which, given that my own mobile was on its last legs, was becoming kind of necessary (it made a point of packing in on itself both New Years that I had it, how convenient). The phone in question is a most wonderful Samsung Galaxy S, which means I can now access my work emails (work being Cargo; not that desperate about The Paid Job) from it, but one of the applications installed with it was that of an eReader. I'm not going to use that a lot, I initially thought to myself. I prefer paper books; real ones. But then I looked at it out of curiosity, and the next thing I knew I'd downloaded about 70 classics. Given that some of these are quite long books, perhaps an eReader is then a good idea.

That said, nothing beats the smell of endpapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment