Photo by Chris Scott

Friday 19 March 2010

A Farewell to Academia, Part 1

And so, today I attended my last ever (for now anyway) academic class. As well as this, I also handed in my last ever (for now also) creative writing assignment. *wipes away a tear*

It's not over yet, though.

My d**********n (I'm still censoring That Word) is due a week on Tuesday. It's not far off kicked in the head. I still need about 500 words more on the commentary, then all that's left is to print and bind it. Then it's over. And thank god. Now I can start working on stuff I've either been neglecting for years or think of something new. Hah - that'll happen soon, oh yes.

I've also been looking at doing the MRes in Creative Writing that my uni are starting to offer as of this year. There are several things threatening to put paid to it:

(a) Grade overall. They basically want a first or a high 2:1. At most I could get a low 2:1 or a high 2:2.
(b) The cost. I probably couldn't enter the course this year, I'd need to defer a year so I could get a job and put some money aside. Or I'd need to get work to actually fund my way.
(c) An idea. Yet again, I'd probably need to defer a year so I could at least get a skeleton of 30,000 words together for a thesis. Having given up on the one idea I'd worked on for nearly seven years I think I'm recovering and thinking of new stuff, but it's taking its time about coming to me.

Oh dear...see , I know I could do it. It's just being held back big time that's the problem. I crashed and burned with an essay this year - actually failing the damn thing - which hasn't helped.

I also had a scary reality check this month.

Basically, I'm nearly 22. Yes, I'm aware I don't act my age. I never really have done. But when my mam was my age, she had me - and I'm her second child. She'd been married to my dad for just over two years. I still can't quite comprehend how different our adulthoods have been. She could quite easily have stuck in with her degree and had a different life, and then I wouldn't exist, or I would, but not as me. And me with a child...let's not even dwell on that concoction.

No comments:

Post a Comment