Photo by Chris Scott

Sunday 7 March 2010

A splendid time is guaranteed for all

And so, I've had a good weekend ^_^ Let me tell you about it. But before I do, I am going to list the bands I saw live in 2009:

- Franz Ferdinand (supported by the Soft Pack)
- Idlewild (supported by Endor)
- Nerina Pallot (supported by Jonathan Jeremiah)
- Newton Faulkner (supported by Lisa Mitchell)
- Fleetwood Mac (nae support but they carried it)

I also saw a couple of musical acts as part of Club Noir. But anyway, back to this weekend - beginning with Saturday.

First, my uni had a showcase at the book festival in Glasgow of some of the creative writing staff and students. It was highly enjoyable. Then I went to 'Between Leith and Lerwick', an event celebrating the links between Shetland and Edinburgh. My Saturday was a busy one.

So, my intention was to spend Sunday simply chilling out. There I was, sat at my laptop, doing nothing of any particular value (no change there then). Then I got a call from my brother. First, he asked what was happening with graduation. I told him the ceremony was on July 12th (I've registered for it now). Then he asked if I would be around on June 20th. I told him I should be, but since I've yet to hear back about any kind of work things are still up in the air in that sense. So he told me he'd just bought tickets to see Paul McCartney at Hampden Park - Mam's going to owe him back, but it's going to be my graduation present.

Yes, you heard. I actually have not been able to wipe the silly grin off my face all day. So fucking excited I could wet myself. Like I said, I'm a massive Beatles fan and this is the closest I'll ever get to seeing them live. I can't wait :D And that smiley doesn't adequately sum up how I feel. Like I said, 2009 was a bloody good year for gigs, and 2010 (having already seen Imogen Heap and going to see The Bundles) looks pretty good too.

I also went to the cinema for the first time in ages. I haven't been in months - I've not even seen Avatar, although that still appears to be showing and selling out screenings (my flatmate works in the main cinema in Glasgow). I decided I wanted to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D, but of course I got there and the screening was full. I hadn't pre-booked because I'd recycled my 3D glasses from when I went to see Up a few months back and wasn't keen to pay extra for another set (the glasses are the sole reason that 3D cinema trips are so pricey, I'm told). So I went to see The Princess and the Frog, which appears to be coming to the end of its run. It was stunning - great soundtrack, charming story, and really engaging. Must be one of the best films Disney has made in years, no contest. (Except maybe Enchanted, that one was pretty funny too.)

Alice can wait for another day. Back to uni tomorrow, and also going to get back into swimming in an effort to keep fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment