Photo by Chris Scott

Friday 9 July 2010

A Farewell to Academia, Part 6: Graduation Maths Again

Last time I was on this here subject, I had the following figures to hand:

Graduation ceremony - £35
Grad ball ticket - £45
Robe hire - £25
Fake parchment thingy for photos - £12.
Photos themselves - £58 for a full standard graduation set
Delivery of photographs to Ma's abode - £5

Total cost thus far = £180

It's since racked up somewhat. As follows:

Grad ball photos - £8 or thereabouts. If I'm honest, I'm not wholly impressed with how they turned out. Of the five photos I bought, I had two headshots and three whole ones of me standing on the balcony. The latter three were a bit dark - obviously the woman taking the pics couldn't handle the Oran Mor mural (painted by the superb Alasdair Gray) with its base colour of dark blue. I'd have sent them back, but I wasn't told who to actually send them to, plus I'd already told the family they were getting them.
Dress for ceremony - £65 including shipping. Wish I'd bought the one which was £10 cheaper but my mother would have sent me home to change at the last minute.
Haircut - last time I got a proper cut and colour with my hairdresser it was £62 (which I paid for with Christmas money, by the way). I'm going to hope it might be about the same this time. It's always worth that, though.

This now bumps the cost up to £335. Keep in mind that we'll be going out for food on the day, plus I might end up out with everyone later on, not to mention that my mam and sister will have travel expenses to pay (they're on the boat then presumably the bus or train). Between the two of us it'll probably nearly end up at £500. And what for? A bit of paper that says I am fully qualified to read and write. Yeah, was kind of able to do that from the age of about five, thanks. I am at least still working the internship that will hopefully get my foot in the door with a career, but have also had to take a job that will pay the bills for the time being and that I don't even know if I have it permanently (my supervisor at training hinted that it might end up being extended beyond Sept, but saying that I bet I've jinxed it for myself).

Ah well - it all happens on Monday. I'd say I can't wait, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment