Photo by Chris Scott

Wednesday 28 July 2010

Hitting a Wall

It's a pain in the arse.

Yeah, that's two ideas for shorter stories I was writing that I'm having huge issues with. One was an idea I was happy with for ages, which I started the first draft of, then got bored with that and started the second draft. I'm trying to get draft two to go somewhere and I've hit a wall.

The other story...well, I've not quite gotten that one committed to paper of any kind yet. The issue I'm having is that I just don't think I quite know how to open it. One of those occasions when I can get the rest of it thought out, just not the beginning.

That said, writing things out in notebooks before committing them to computer is helping me actually sift out the shite - I think, anyway. It may be that old primary school mentality. My primary school started using computers when I was in about P5/6. From then on, when we came up with assignments, we had the 'rough copy', usually written in pencil, and then the 'good copy', written either with our favourite pen in our best handwriting, or on the computer (usually the latter, because we still got excited about that kind of thing). I know, I'm in my early twenties and harking back to primary school, but it's been working for me so far.

It would probably also help if I stopped writing a blog about it and actually tried to work out ways to sort it...but venting is one of the early steps.

In other news...the launch party went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment