Photo by Chris Scott

Monday 26 July 2010

Purpose, It's That Little Flame That Lights A Fire Under Your Ass

Good ol' Avenue Q, eh? :)

Anywomb...

I've finally finished the training for my paid job, and when we sat the assessment (after some extensive revision to refresh the old memories, I should add) I passed with 99% :D Now for Real Shifts. I had my first one today - an early at a quieter one. I am, however, off for two days.

Tomorrow night - at the time of writing this, you lot on FB will get this much later I assume - is the launch party for the short story anthology released by the publishing company I'm working for. I've never been to a launch party before, and I'm very excited about it.

Also, know how I'm always whinging about how I've not had a decent novel idea for a while? Well, just lately it's all been short stories, but to be honest, rather those than nothing at all. Plus, given the upheaval I've gone through in the last few months - graduation, moving and having to move again fairly soon (should get me finger out with sorting some viewings, dear oh dear :/) and getting work to keep me fed, watered and well read - shorter stuff is all I've really felt at all able to write lately. And I should be a little more thankful for that. Not to mention, since leaving uni and not being forced to think I find the ideas have come to me much easier than they used to. Uni conditions you to an extent, plus CW is hard to mark - it's mainly the opinion of your tutor at the end of the day, and if your tutor that year / semester likes your stuff, awesome, if not, you're fucked. I am still in two minds about whether to bother applying for a CW Masters on those grounds - maybe by the time next year comes around, I'll like so much being my own agent that I won't want to go back to pleasing other people like that. At the same time, though, being in a non-academic environment could mean I end up producing some of the best stuff I've ever written for my portfolio, possibly being accepted on those grounds (keep the fingers tightly crossed...) and then writing a load of utter shit when I actually entered the course.

Hmmmm...what to do? It could all turn out alright...then again, maybe not.

4 comments:

  1. Ah I may bump into you at the launch (which will be nice to see the person behind the blog). Don't worry, I am not stalker-like and won't follow you around (ask M the boss, I am quite a nice person).

    I know how you feel about writing. If I didn't have my group then I wouldn't intentionally sit down to write pieces. Have you thought about doing NaNoWriMo in November? The mission is to write a 50, 000 word novel in a month. I managed 37, 000 last year and that was based upon one vague idea about zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, don't think I saw you there? Maybe did.

    And I've signed up for NaNoWriMo, but not too sure I could get together an idea of 50,000 words for it :/ I'm certainly up for the challenge though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I may have seen you post-launch but it was in the middle of the 'We've run out of books' drama. Everyone looked a tad busy at that point.

    The Glasgow NaNoWriMo group is a bit disjointed at the moment. I met some really great people at the write-ins but the organisers got a really hard time. People were complaining and outright bullying them. One has resigned after two years of 'hosting' the Glasgow meets so I'm not sure how this year is going to roll.

    The excellent idea behind NaNo is just to get you sitting on your bottom and writing. No editing, no proofing (many people advise switching off any spell checkers) - just getting the words out there. And somewhere you'll find the truffles in amongst the mud :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, was it? Pungs :( Oh well. Hopefully see you another time!

    I have a friend who got involved with it last year but I wasn't aware there'd been meets for it? Like I said, I will need to give it a try this year, just while I have no academic constraints on me

    ReplyDelete