Photo by Chris Scott

Sunday 20 June 2010

'Say Paulie, Would Ye Ever Sign One A' These For Us?'

So...long overdue update required on this front. You've all been patient enough I guess, so here goes.

The job situation appears to have temporarily improved. Thus far as I can tell I seem to have a summer job working as a customer service assistant in the ticket offices for the Glasgow underground. Since I live just up from one of the stations this is rather helpful to me. I had the aptitude test for said job earlier this week - basically this consisted of two tests, one for logic and one for numeracy. When sent email notification of the impending test I was directed to two practise ones on the website of the company who make them. The logic one went okay (65%) but the numeracy one was highly complex, involving percentages, figures and a lot of mathemical techniques I'd barely gone near since Standard Grade. I didn't think to take my time over the harder questions (which they recommended you do; quickly but accurately is their attitude) and ended up completely falling on my arse with that one (with the miserable score of 21%). Needless to say, when I went into the real thing that morning I was panicking.

The panic was, however, unfounded. The numeracy test we were given was considerably more basic than the practise one had been, stuff I am genuinely better with. Once again, we were told to work quickly but accurately and not to worry if this meant not finishing the test, as sometimes people who hadn't finished the test did better than those who had for getting all their answers right. So I followed this advice - and indeed did not finish that test. Then we did the logic one, which I completed (those of you who know me will know that logic is one of my stronger points).

Following the test, myself and the seven other folk sitting it were led through to await the results and see if we'd made the interview. We were then told that of the eight of us there, three of us passed the aptitude test - and I somehow, amazingly, ended up being one of them. After the interview I was then invited to a medical on Thursday - which I guess seems odd, but they needed to do drug and alcohol tests (which I've passed no bother).

Of course, the job is just for summer, and it's casual - I'll be filling in if there are holidays or if someone phones in sick. It's well paid, though, which could help for when it actually ends and I have to go back on the dole. As far as I know I get to sign off once my contract starts. And I still have my internship. Our latest book is out on July 27th. We're excited :) And I like the colleagues I have that I've met. It's quite odd to think I'm essentially now holding down two jobs. I've just realised I had three in second year of uni on top of my degree - although two of them paid little and mostly involved working from home. This year I've been lucky to find anything. The internship helps because I can, at least, say I'm employed so I don't look like I'm completely workshy. At the same time, it's also the career I want really.

I've still not got my degree results yet. It's driving me up the wall - I know so many folk who have theirs and I don't have mine. There was a rumour going around that we might not get our results until after our graduation. That's surely a complete pile of shit, otherwise what would be the point in the ceremony? If that did happen I'd pull out of the July congregation and demand to be moved to the November one (although I could totally see my mam throttling me for that, after I whinged at her and both my siblings to be there and have even applied for a spare ticket so that can happen). But at the same time, I'm certain that has to be a pile of shit. I'm hoping they'll be with me tomorrow or Tuesday. I will keep you posted.

And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for (and if you've read this far, good on you. Have a Coke and a smile).

Yeah...earlier today I went with my brother and his friend to see Paul McCartney at Glasgow's Hampden Park stadium (see, you knew the title would be relevant). It was fucking awesome. We had to leave halfway through the encore so we could get the last train back into town (they had to go back to Edinburgh), which was a bit crap because we missed him performing both 'Yesterday' and 'Helter Skelter'. However, the rest of the set was well worth the ticket money. For 68, Paul McCartney must be one of the most energetic performers alive. The setlist he chose was also amazing. For instance, it was mostly Beatles stuff. Well, yeah, that was kind of inevitable, Captain Obvious. But seriously, I was going for that alone. He did solo stuff too. One of the songs turned up from his project The Fireman from a couple of years back, and of course he played 'Band on the Run' (:D). He also played a song he'd written about John Lennon and an imaginary conversation with him, and he played 'Something' in tribute to George Harrison. With that and 'Let It Be' I nearly welled up. Nearly. Some of the numbers were more obscure Beatles songs that you maybe wouldn't expect ('I've Just Seen A Face', anyone?). But it was so, so worth my while and I'm glad I went. Best graduation present ever. Sadly I didn't have him sign anything. The title is a quote from Paul's 'Grandad' (played by the brilliant Wilfrid 'Steptoe' Brambell) from 'A Hard Day's Night'.

Phew, that was a very long blog. Bedtime now. I need to post with more frequency.

No comments:

Post a Comment