Photo by Chris Scott

Wednesday 2 June 2010

Sayonara For Now, East End. We May Meet Again Some Day

Forgot to mention just there - I have some form of abode for the next two months.

Basically, once I leave my current Denny digs on Sunday I'll be moving to Hillhead. I know that sounds odd, given that I've just had to sign on, but I'm taking it up for two months as a favour to a friend who needs to return home over summer. Besides, I couldn't get anything else at such ridiculously short notice. I do, at least, have these digs till about late July / early August, so that gives me more time to find something a little more permanent.

And if, by some fucking miracle, I manage to get myself a job (or write a Startlingly Good Novel that sells six figures' worth of copies, gets into the WHSmith Bestseller List or, better still, finds its way to the Man Booker Prize nomination list...HA, THAT'LL BE THE FUCKING DAY) at all over summer, no matter how menial, permanent or temporary, I might just be able to afford to make the most of it. Like I said, here's hoping. But at least I'll be within walking distance of Kelvingrove Park so I can enjoy my beloved books when I (a) have a spare moment and (b) when the sun shines. Then again, even if it doesn't, I could read anyway.

Basically I'm relying on parental contribution over the next while, but I'm not going to make that a permanent thing. I've applied for several jobs so far today since going to the job centre earlier. Like I say, the prospect of long-term unpaid employment is looking like a terrifying prospect from this angle. A lot of jobs have been applied for online, but I have a few more that I need to send off in the hope they'll be right. I've applied for everything I think I'd be of use for, from library assistant to kitchen porter via admin assistant. I'm still applying for jobs as well. It doesn't get any better.

Something has to turn up sometime.

Meanwhile...my internship colleagues and I convene next week. I've been sent a database of people to flog books to. I'm still trying to get packing done (I've done NOTHING today. Literally nothing) and also need to properly sort moving, but I need to get my finger out with that, being that it's the only form of employment I currently have.

Hopefully things will turn out for the better, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment