Photo by Chris Scott

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Update to Previous Blog

I would have just added this to the previous entry but it's already fed to Facebook so many of you won't see it if I do that.

Basically I went back to the Job Centre at the allocated time, although it took them half an hour or so before they were able to see me because they were greatly understaffed. When I was finally seen I was told that I was being allocated a new time slot on Fridays - it was going from lunchtime to 9:10am. Fuck that shit, I'm not getting up that early just to get a pittance. I then decided it was best to step in with the news that I was now employed for summer, and I told him it was casual so there'd be work some weeks and not as much others. He then told me that, because I was officially employed, I had to sign off, but that if I was ever under 16 hours in a week I was entitled to claim JSA for that week. This is awesome, because I have decided I don't like the dole. And of course, I have to try and line up a new job to fall into sometime soon.

But yay :D

Sadly I ended up missing the first properly sunny day in Glasgow for a while because I got fucked about, but never mind - hopefully the weather might perk up and I can go and sit outside and read. I've discovered I vastly prefer the Botanic Gardens (at the crossroads of Great Western Road, Byres Road and Queen Margaret Drive, just down from the former BBC Scotland Broadcasting House premises for those who don't know) to Kelvingrove Park. They're both lovely in their own ways though.

I really can't wait to come into some money. On top of the multitude of books I've already accumulated over the last year or so, I've found around £60-£70 worth of books across both the Fopp branches in Glasgow which I can't afford to buy. The worst bit was, in the city centre branch it was mainly classics I was finding - to be specific, those cheapy ones Penguin do with the green jackets, made from recycled paper. We usually got given these at uni because they only cost £2 each, pretty good value for money usually (apart from 'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' by James Joyce, could NOT get into that book). Anyway yeah, Fopp had a massive display of them underneath the stairs, and I looked on them, and my mouth it did begin to foam and I just thought, 'WANT'. Yeah, I tend to have this reaction to books. It helps I no longer have to analyse the damned things. I desperately wanted to gather several of them up in my arms and take them to the counter, but alas, I haven't enough money to justify getting them yet. I did laugh though - one book they had was 'Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoevsky (which I won't be buying because I have a copy at home in Shetland, I think) which was still a snip at £2 but was three times the length of the others. Then again, said long Russian book could also have been 'War and Peace' by Leo Tolstoy. Bloody Russian literature, with its lengthy rambliness - THINK OF THE TREES, COMRADES!

Sorry, I'll calm down now. I will afford all those books one of these days, oh yes. In fact, I'd love to work for Fopp...

Also - to all of you following me on Facebook, certain entries are missing, so if you want them you need to come and find them on the actual blog, which is here. I don't know why they're not feeding in to be honest.

1 comment:

  1. Have you thought about joining your local library? I did that when I couldn't afford to buy books any more (a sad day...). Glasgow City (or Culture and Sport) have got a decent stock and they don't charge for Inter Library Loans.

    ReplyDelete