Photo by Chris Scott

Wednesday 24 February 2010

The Arts - Always Made to Suffer

It saddens me when this happens.

Most recently the art that has suffered - from my perspective anyway - has been music.

I'm loath to say which university I actually attend on the grounds that if they were to find this blog, and I said something they didn't like, they could sue my backside for a hell of a lot of money - which, frankly, I don't have. Anyway - you'll probably clock which one I'm at when I say this.

My uni has two campuses (campii?) - the main one is in the city centre, while a smaller one, housing a separate faculty, exists in the west end. My course is housed on the main campus, but when I was in first year the decision was taken to close the smaller one and just house everyone on the main campus.

Earlier last year, we got a new principal, who, within a mere twelve weeks of taking the job, declared that he wished to turn the university into a 'research-led, technological establishment'. This essentially involved merging faculties and offering staff severance payment or early retirement. We all ended up embarking on several protests against a lot of his plans. The most recently announced one, though, is that of the plan to scrap the BA courses in music and community arts. Both of these are currently housed on the smaller campus, and are considered to be prestigious, both with high employment rates across their fields. We are currently campaigning to save these.

Mirroring this is a recent issue affecting my old home town of Shetland. Basically the local council has just paid off the chief executive to the tune of £250,000. He has been in the job eight months, and in that time he's proven controversial. The trouble is, the council have also just announced that they plan to start charging for music lessons in schools to save money.

Things like this annoy me ¬_¬

No comments:

Post a Comment