Photo by Chris Scott

Friday 19 February 2010

Good Beatles covers

I am a self-confessed Beatles addict.

It's nothing to be ashamed of. They're my all-time favourite band. This, I guess, is mainly because they've had a huge influence on a lot of the other bands I like. Take a look through my iTunes collection, you'd be pushed to find a band in there that WASN'T influenced by them.

Anyway...as you can probably imagine, I'm a bit picky about Beatles covers. They're a bit of a Marmite situation with me, frankly - I've heard some really pish ones (see Nick Cave's version of 'Here Comes the Sun' and Howie Day's version of 'Help!', both of which turned up on the 'I Am Sam' OST), but there are some sublime ones out there. I've picked three that I particularly like:



This must be the Citizen Kane of Beatles covers. Joe Cocker has an amazing singing voice, and while I will always love the Beatles version, Cocker takes this and makes it his own.



Yet another one I fell in love with on the first hearing. Although the original is a soft one too, Harris really adds something to it. Think it's just nice to hear a Beatles song countryfied. (What? I like country music. Well, some of it!)

And finally:



I love the edgy swagger this version exhudes. Chris Cornell has the perfect voice for this, in my opinion.

There are loads more out there, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment