Photo by Chris Scott

Thursday 18 February 2010

Job Hunt

So...in the flurry I got into about abandoning a work that had consumed nearly seven years of my life, I forgot to mention - my graduation ain't too far off.

The other day, I received the forms and information etc. concerning the aforementioned robes-n'-parchment fest. If all goes well, I graduate on July 12th of this year at 11am. Fun times...provided, of course, that I have a job to fall into.

So here I am, applying for many different things. For one thing, I currently have an election campaign on the go. I've stood for a position in the student executive for a year. Since it's the most contested election this year and I've been very slack on finding a campaign team I've little chance of getting it. I've officially started applying for other jobs too, and will tell these people I can start in May or June depending on exams.

Oh boy...I'll surely find something out of all the stuff I'm looking for. Just sign up to as many job sites as I can. It's not a good time to be a nearly-graduate right now. Better than it was last year, that's for sure, but still not good.

Trouble is, of course, I have no cash behind me. If I can't get a job in Glasgow, or even Edinburgh, I'm screwed. I have to move back home to Shetland, which, to be honest, I don't really want to do any more. There would, of course, be a graduate scheme with the council back home, but that's hardly any kind of guarantee really. Really I'm still keen to work in the media, but that's a bit of a dying industry, and my course has kind of put paid to that idea in so many ways. The class of 2010 will be the first batch of graduates to leave ill-equipped for the real world of work in that sector, all because they made major changes to the course that we didn't ask for...but I can't go into that for various reasons. One of those being that the whole thing still pisses me off.

As well as this...dissertation! See, I told you I wasn't laying my current work to rest completely. This is because the dissertation contains The Good Bits. Well, my supervisor thinks they're good, and I'm more confident in them than I am with the rest of it. Just need to write a commentary that doesn't just say 'It has a beginning, a middle and an end, and a distinctive narrator', and I should be okay. Ah.

The next few months are going to be busy academically. I just hope I can cope with it all without needing sectioned by the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment