Photo by Chris Scott

Tuesday 4 May 2010

A Farewell to Academia, Part 3: Graduation Maths

I fucking hate maths, which is why I'm doing an English degree. I actually have no real skills from said degree; I have discovered this when job hunting. My degree essentially states I am qualified to read and write. I could do that from the age of four. ¬_¬

Anyway - as follows:

Graduation ceremony - £35 (although my ma paid that bit because the deadline for registering for July graduation fell the day after my birthday).
Grad ball ticket - £45. Which I'm led to believe is cheap for a grad ball, because we're having ours in the Oran Mor on Byres Road, as opposed to the Glasgow Radisson, Marriott or Thistle. I'm led to believe hotels tend to be more expensive anyway, and the Oran Mor is gorgeous from what I've seen of it. Plus we're not doing what the English grads did last year and having a 'party' in one of the city's crappiest nightclubs *shudder*. Moving on...
Robe hire - £25.
Parchment (or something vaguely resembling one for me to hold during photos) - £12.
Photos themselves - £58 for a full blown graduation set - three big ones, four small ones, two family portraits and a sheet of smaller copies for wallet, keyrings etc.
Delivery of photographs to Ma's abode - £5.

Total cost thus far = £180.

This, keep in mind, does not include the stupid amount of money that will be spent on the graduation meal I'll probably end up having with la famille plus any partying that may ensue following it.

In other news...I am truly screwed for these exams. Truly screwed.

4 comments:

  1. Our grad ball was a horrendous, badly organised and expensive affair. Held at the Thistle Hotel weirdly enough. That cost almost £35 *grumbles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? That's odd, my pal's girlfriend is having hers at a hotel (she's graduating from Edinburgh uni) and apparently the ticket is £85 :S Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's Edinburgh for you ;) I'm sure it was £35 per ticket. Perhaps £10 desposit as well which we didn't get back? It appears I have wiped the whole sorry affair from my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, that's a shame :(

    ReplyDelete