Photo by Chris Scott

Tuesday 25 May 2010

Good News, Bad News

Well...ish.

Right, so - I mentioned a couple of developments had been happening in the last little while. Well, in full, here we have it:

Basically I applied for an internship with an independent publishing house here in Glasgow. Despite there having been stiff competition for it, I was shortlisted. I'm not going to go into vast amounts of detail but the long and the short of it is this: I was offered the job at interview. I was elated. For one thing, the company boss made me feel completely at ease. It helped that it was taking place in a coffee shop (I've developed a love for white chocolate mochas I think - yum!), but I've never felt so relaxed in an interview environment. I think that helped.

It's great in the sense of experience. I decided this year that I wanted to get into publishing, and it'll get me a foot in the door. I'll be trying to get the company's books distributed to places to sell them. However, it's an internship. This means that I don't get paid. I instead get paid back any travel expenses incurred, plus any contributions to my mobile bill for any call, plus any share of a grant they may get. Apart from that...I need another job so I can actually keep living here, which, at this rate, is gonna be in a pub.

I also need to find somewhere to live - and move in ASAP. Pungs.

Ah well - last exam tomorrow. One load off my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job. Can I speculate that the company name starts with a C? They seem to be doing a lot of exciting stuff at the moment.

    Doing an internship that you love can help save you from moments when you're working in ShittyRentJob Inc. Speaking from experience ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does start with a C :) And they are doing a lot of exciting stuff.

    And it sounds like that could well be the case

    ReplyDelete