Photo by Chris Scott

Thursday 13 May 2010

I'm down upon my knees, looking for my life...

So yeah...pressure is getting to me again.

I've still not found a Proper Grown Up Job to step into following the end of uni yet. As thus I have not started looking for a flat either. I am finally getting around to applying to publishing houses in Edinburgh asking if they want / need interns. It's getting desperate though. Gonna have to look outside the 'proper high-flying graduate job' box soon.

I wonder if it's my course. Those of you who know me well will know that we had a very public falling-out with our department over the way they taught our course. It was...questionable, to say the least. The course was supposed to be 'Journalism and Creative Writing'. However, it became 'journalism and creative writing'. Note the lack of caps in there. This is because they taught little of either. I would say that what we got was more of a thinly-disguised media studies course, mostly sociological rather than journalistic. We would talk about journalism. How other people wrote it, and what could and couldn't be considered journalism. Blogs, for instance. I don't consider this to be journalism, personally. Sure, a few major events have appeared in it since I opened it up in February, but I wouldn't say it's journalism. It's just me chipping in my two penn'orth on something I care / feel strongly about. There's a pretty big difference. I'd never consider myself a journalist, but that's a whole other point. It's not that the two subjects weren't taught at all - they were, of course, there's no way the department would have gotten away with that. And when they were taught, they were taught wonderfully and we learned a lot from them. They were just not taught frequently enough to justify titling the course as such.

Anyway yeah - the course previously had accreditation from the NCTJ, which was removed because, guess what, they weren't devoting enough time to real journalism. We complained loudly about this but were mainly ignored, and they basically ended up giving us a useless course. See, I can understand why we need to know research but there's no point learning it if we don't get an opportunity to put it into practise. But yes - the nub of my gist is that I have very few skills with which to get a good job. Yes, my main ambition is to write someday. But until then I need something to stay afloat. And my course has probably gotten a really poor reputation following all these losses...think I'm screwed.

Thought of the day:

Am I the only one in my circle who isn't getting married or pregnant?

2 comments:

  1. It sucks when you have a course like that. One of my classmates is considering putting in a formal complaint about our course (which has not really achieved what it set out to do....). If you're able to gain unpaid experience in the publishing sector, go for it. Sometimes this can lead to a 'proper' job. In the meantime, get a crappy job to pay the bills :)

    Thought of the day: Don't worry, we're at that age when it feels like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that :) So glad it's not just happening to me!

    ReplyDelete